Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Slang

Since I haven't really commented on the culture here yet, here are some quick facts about the local South African quirks:

1. "Shame". It is said all the time by the locals, and means "that's too bad" or "no way."
2. "Is It?". It isn't spelled like that, or said like that. More of like izzzut, but it means "really??"
3. "Pleasure" which means you're welcome. So funny to hear with all their accents!
4. "My boy" or "my girl" is said all the time in school. I often hear "stop talking my boy" or "sit down my girl," which is also funny to hear in their accents. 
5. Wearing shoes!! This one blew my mind. In the states, shoes are required for any type of service or in any type of building. Here this is not so. Children and adults can walk barefoot around town, or in school. Mostly I've seen children come to school without shoes, and I've always wondered if it is because they can't afford a pair or if they simply choose not to wear them....

Anyways, I am noticing that I am already picking up some of the different sayings or phrases, and I can bet when I get home that I'm going to continue saying them :) Be ready everyone! 

Hope you are all happy, healthy, and well, 

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! I miss you! I hope you're having so much fun in SA! Looks like you're doing really well.

    Keep smiling :)

    Love you,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete